7. She enjoyed nudity; in fact, she would often go naked while in the company of female studio employees, such as wardrobe mistresses, hairdressers, and make-up artists.
Marilyn Monroe famously enjoyed nudity. So much so, that it is rumoured that she gave interviews in the nude. She also went out often wearing nothing but the black mink coat that her second husband and baseball legend Joe DiMaggio had given her.(source)
8. She had a stutter which, although not very severe, was still pretty noticeable. She regularly sought assistance from voice coaches to help overcome this problem.
However, she never really fully overcame this problem, which plagued her at several instances in her life: she stuttered as a child, and for a couple of years in high school. A speech therapist taught her breathing techniques which helped her through her stuttering, and also resulted in her famous breathy voice. She was not, however, entirely rid of the problem, which came back to haunt her in her final days.(source)
9. Her chest X-rays sold for $45,000.
A set of three chest X-rays of Marilyn’s from when she was admitted for surgery for endometriosis at the Cedars of Lebanon Hospital in Florida in 1954, sold for a whopping $45,000 at an auction in 2010.(source)
10. A New York businessman bought a film of Marilyn Monroe performing oral sex on an unidentified man for $1.5 million.
The 15-minute silent, black-and-white film was bought by a Manhattan businessman, who said that he would keep it out of the public’s view in a bid to protect Marilyn’s privacy. It was rumoured that the man in the video – whose head remains out of the frame for the entire duration of the video – was John F. Kennedy, with whom Marilyn is rumoured to have had an affair.(source)
11. In 1992, Hugh Hefner bought the burial vault next to Marilyn’s at the Westwood Memorial Park in Los Angeles for £50,000.
12. The New York Times reported that the week following Marilyn’s death saw the number of suicides in New York reaching a record high of 12 a day.
One victim’s note read – “If the most wonderful, beautiful thing in the world has nothing to live for, then neither must I.”(source)