We chose what to eat very carefully but we rarely give the same attention to what we drink in terms of our health. By law, foods and nonalcoholic drinks should have their ingredients listed and the FDA monitors this. Beer however, belongs in neither category and the alcohol industry has been lobbying for years against labeling ingredients on the beers. Some do it to hide recipes while others do it to hide the harmful ingredients used.
- High Fructose Corn Syrup
- GMO Corn Syrup
- Propylene Glycol
- GMO Corn
- GMO Sugars
- Fish Bladder
- Monosodium Glutamate (MSG)
- Caramel Coloring
- Natural Flavors
- Insect-Based Dyes
- And lots more!
The following are beers you should avoid drinking:
1. Newcastle Brown Ale
It contains caramel coloring. Ammonia is categorized as a carcinogen and is used to make class 3 and four caramel coloring. Alcohol is a carcinogen itself and when drank in moderation, it may decrease cancer developing chances. However, when carcinogens are added they have an opposite effect. They increase cancer development chances.
2. Miller Lite
Miller Lite contains corn syrup and GMO corn.
3. Corona Extra
It contains Propylene Glycol and GMO Corn Syrup. Although surrounded by controversy, Propylene Glycol is said to cause potential harm to people’s health.
It comprises of GMO corn. In the year 2007, Greenpeace found that experimental GMO rice was being used in Anheuser-Busch beer (Budweiser).
5. Pabst Blue Ribbon
This beer comprises GMO corn syrup and GMO corn.
6. Michelob Ultra
It’s not so popular but it contains GMO dextrose (genetically modified sweetener).
7. Red Stripe
Contains GMO corn.
8. Coors Light
Popular among college students because it’s cheap. It however contains GMO corn syrup.
Alternative healthy beers to drink are organic beers. You can also trust beer imported from Europe since GMOs are banned. American microbrews are also another option but one cannot be so sure since most larger beer making corporations have bought the microbrew beers.
Unpasteurized & Unfiltered Organic GMO-free Beers
- Wolaver’s – all beers
- Bison – all beers
- Fish Brewery Company – Fish Tale Ales
- Pinkus – all beers
- Lakefront Brewery – Organic ESB
- Lamar Street – Whole Foods label (Goose Island brewed)
- Brooklyn – (organic if ingredients are available)
- Wychwood – Scarecrow Ale
- Samuel Smiths – Samuel Smiths Organic Ale
- Dogfish Head (organic if ingredients available)
Unpasteurized & Unfiltered Non-Organic GMO-free Beers
- Duck Rabbit – Amber Ale, Brown Ale, Milk Stout, Porter
- Sierra Nevada – all choices
- Shipyard – Summer Brew
- Dogfish Head- Shelter Pale Ale, Chicory Stout, 60 Minute IPA,
- Bridgeport – IPA (Bottle conditioned)
- North Coast – Blue Star
- Ayinger – all choices
- Victory Brewery – Whirlwind
- Royal Oak – Pale Ale
- Weihenstephaner – Hefe Weissbier
- Fraziskaner – Dunkel Weisse and Hefeweisse
- Hoegaarden – Belgian Wit
- Maisel’s – Weisse
Other Healthy Beer Choices to drink
- Duchy Original Ale Organic
- Amstel Light
- Mill Street Brewery
- Nelson Organic Ale
- Fuller’s Organic
- Natureland Organic