The movie Titanic has become the epitome of enduring love that sustains even after death. The simple story set amidst the epic disaster has captivated the audience hearts. But there were several interesting nuggets that happened backstage, incidents that lend more sparkle to the love story. Here we bring you 25 facts about the Titanic that will make you go awww.
1. Madonna auditioned for the role of Rose but was considered too old to play the role of younger Rose.
Madonna and Rose ? Thank God, Cameron turned out to be sensible.(source)
2. Christian Bale openly campaigned for the role of Jack Dawson but James Cameron refused as he did not want two British actors playing the role of two Americans.
3. The elderly Couple who lie on the bed awaiting death as water floods the room is based on the real-life couple Ida and Isidor Strauss, the owners of Macy’s who died on the RMS Titanic.
Ida was offered a seat on a lifeboat but refused so that she could stay with her husband, saying, “As we have lived together, so we shall die together.” There was a scene filmed that depicted this moment but was cut from the final version.(source)
4. In the movie, Jack says he goes ice fishing in Wissota lake but the lake did not exist in 1912. This man-made lake was created in 1917!
In the movie, Jack claims to have gone ice fishing on Lake Wissota, situated near Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin. But the man-made reservoir was created in 1917.(source)
5. During a shooting schedule in Canada, an angry crew member added disassociative drug PCP (angel dust) into the soup that Cameron and others were eating. The drug sent more than 50 people to the hospital. Cameron managed to vomit before the drug could take full hold. The perpetrator has never been caught.
A disgruntled crew member added Angel dust in the soup. Almost 50 members including Jim Cameron, Kate Winslet, and Leonardo DiCaprio were taken ill. Once Cameron realized the severity of the condition, he tried to induce vomiting to get rid off of the drug-laced soup. Some of the crew members who were hospitalized were released after 24 hours of observation. The culprit was never found.(source)