12. When “Lose Yourself” won the Academy Award for Best Original Song, not only was Eminem not there to accept the award, he was asleep during the ceremony because he believed he would not win.
Eminem won the academy award for the Best Original Song for “Lose Yourself”. He was the first rapper to win an Oscar for a rap song. However, Eminem was convinced that he would not be winning the coveted statue and did not attend the event. He was dozing at his home in Oakland Township, Michigan with the TV tuned to cartoons for his daughter, Hailie.(source)
13. Eminem refused to sing at the Oscars since they wanted him to sing the clean version of the chartbuster, “Lose Yourself.”
Eminem refused to sing at the Oscars as the head honchos wanted him to sing the radio friendly version of the hit number. But Eminem wanted to sing the song as it is and allow the editor to edit the language. Lose Yourself was the first winning song not performed on the Oscars stage since the advent of televised coverage.(source)
14. Eminem once took so much Methadone, doctors informed him that he had taken the equivalent of four bags of heroin, and was “about two hours from dying.”
The mental and emotional stress can wreck havoc on a person’s psyche and Eminem was no exception, he became addicted to prescription drugs sometimes consuming Valium, Vicodin, and Xanax. The increased consumption of the prescription drugs led to stomach aches and he began to compensate for the pain by eating. In 2007, he collapsed from an overdose of methadone. He was rushed to the hospital where the doctors told him that his organs were beginning to shut down due to methadone. The doctors did not expect him to survive but Eminem somehow managed to beat the odds. After a brief relapse, Eminem has managed to get clean on 2008 and has remained clean ever since.(source 1,2)
15. Eminem was sued by his own mother for $10 million because he made offensive remarks about her in his songs, but she was only awarded $1,600.
In 1991, an irate Debbie, mother of Eminem sued him for about 10 million USD for defaming her on the Slim Shady LP (he rapped that his mother smoked more dope than him). She received a paltry 1,600 USD from the lawsuit.(source)
16 A person who picked on Eminem in school sued him for his 1999 song ‘Brain Damage’. The judge dismissed the case and delivered the verdict as a rap.
In the song “Brain Damage” Eminem raps about a bully DeAngelo Bailey who bullied him when he was studying in the elementary school. Incensed, Bailey promptly filed a $1 million lawsuit claiming that the singer intruded on his privacy and slandered him. The judge Deborah Servitto was not amused by the frivolous claim, she dismissed the case by writing a song on it.(source)
Some Bonus Facts
- Eminem has three aliases: Eminem, The Slim Shady, and his original teenage stage name, which was M&M. His real name is Marshall Bruce Mathers III.
- Eminem’s relatives used to call him ‘Mickey’ when he was a baby because he had big ears.
- Eminem dropped out of school after failing 9th grade 3 times, mainly because he skipped school too many times to battle kids on the street corners
- IN the video “My Name Is,” Eminem was not supposed to get hit in the face with the newspaper at the beginning and was not supposed to fall of the chair. They were both accidents but the directors decided to keep them in the video.
- Eminem has been falsely reported dead by a car crash 4 times and a drug overdose once.
- Eminem is in the Guinness Book of world Records for being fastest selling hip-hop artist.
- When Dre first met Eminem, Eminem was wearing a bright yellow tracksuit which he got from a sponsor because he didn’t have the money to buy decent clothes. Dre thought he looked like a banana.
- Eminem used to spend hours at night studying the dictionary so that he could expand his vocabulary for his rhymes.
- Lose Yourself may have topped the poll on songs that spurs ball players to victory but it also topped the poll on songs most likely to lead to car crashes.
- For his 8 Mile role, Em dropped from 168 lbs (12 stone or 76.21kg) to 145 lbs (10.35 stone or 65.8kg).